Monday, June 9, 2008

Remembering My Mama

Today is my mama's birthday. June 9 - it'll always be a day that is dear to me as I remember her. It's already been six years since she graduated to her heavenly home and I still miss her every day! There are so many times that I have something to tell her - only to realize I can't. It's really a very strange thing...the way the brain tricks us.

But here is my tribute to her. She was a wonderful, giving, sharing lady who had a huge heart~big enough to hug all of us plus all our friends. She was a woman who loved God and served Him the best way she knew how! She was a woman of sooo many talents...cooking (!), baking, sewing, gardening, canning, listening, giving, caring and sharing anything and everything she had! But she was tough, too. Many were the spankings and reprimands we kids received, but unlike today's generation - we knew when we deserved it and never, ever doubted her love or her motives. She was in it for our best! Her life had such an incredible influence on so many folks, literally around the world. Her doors were always open, her kitchen always wafting delicious aroma's of bread baking, chicken frying, cookies coming out of the oven or meats roasting. And! Her table was always beautifully set and WELL-laden with scrumptious things to eat - no matter how many were at the table. Most of all I guess, she was able to put up with me!!! Now that's a big one!

I will always love you, my dear Mama!

We often wonder out loud, my siblings and I, what it was - or how it was that or what they did, she and our Daddy, that insured our family stayed close all these years. My five siblings and I all love each other so much. We all get along so well and always have over these many years. No big blow-ups or mean-nesses. We just love being together and we love each other's mates like they were born into the Schmidt clan. We love those foster sisters that became part of our family because our parents hearts were big enough to invite them in. So, it amazes me how that all came to be. So many of my friend's families seem to always be in turmoil or are always battling over one stupid thing or another. It's just an amazing thing that I ponder today, looking back over the years of this family. Mama was the heart of it all! Thank you, Mom, for all you were and all you gave to me...to us, your kids. As long as I breath - you live on!!!

1 comment:

Anna said...

It has been 19 years since I have seen my mom and sometimes I cannot remember her voice anymore. It seems almost a lifetime ago since I have seen her. She died before I got married and she has missed so much of my life. I miss my sister as well. It will be 7 years on the 24th of this month that she has been gone. I miss so much about her. Her death left a huge hole in my life. Then with my dad being gone...that one has such mixed emotions. But on this Florida trip I miss calling him like I always did to tell him what we are doing or talk about the surroundings on the trip. Sometimes I look around and cannot believe people my age still have Grandparents alive and my whole growing up family is gone. It does anger me when I see people argue about stupid stuff with there families. I am glad Shirley that you have a close knit family and can appreciate that.